Samsung Galaxy S vs iPhone 4 - finally no contest...

Well my wife has an iPhone 4 and I have a Samsung Galaxy S.  I am not one of those petty fanboys so I feel I can comment in a relatively unbiased fashion about the differences between the two.

Up until recently I felt it was a relatively even contest.  I loved that I could run flash on websites, and that I could run multiple tasks simultaneously, my phone was lighter and thinner than any case enclosed iPhone.  However, I did envy the iPhone's text rendering, as well as the mute switch on the side.

There was one feature I thought I would be upset to not have and that was the camera flash.  The lack of a camera flash has not been that big an issue for me, especially as the iPhone's flash really does give everything a horrible yellow hue, which requires post photo filters before the picture is actually usable, in most situations the cameras are equal.

However, Samsung recently released Android 2.3.3 on the Galaxy S and this update is amazing.  The biggest new feature is the unbelievable battery life.  As I type my phone is on 58% battery, how long did it take to reach this level, 48 hours!  Prior to the update I would need to charge my phone every night with the phone reaching ~10% battery after a full days use,  but right now it is potentially up for 4+ days, something not managed since my old Sony phone from 6 years ago.

Essentially I cannot see why now someone would choose the the iPhone over the Galaxy S, not only is the Galaxy S generally better, but you do not have to fight iTunes to get something on to the device!  Of course the Galaxy S II is out now and the iPhone 5 is no where in sight, if there was genuine perfect information in the market Apple would be looking at a serious loss of sales to Samsung.  Fortunately for them this is not the case and the iPhone will continue to out sell superior devices...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IE9 Intranet compatibility mode in Intranet websites

User Interface Usability Checklist Part 2

Procedural VS Object Oriented